Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Elements & Principles of Photography

LEADING LINES
Leading lines in a photograph lead your eyes to a place in the photo.
This picture is leading lines because the road in the photograph is leading your eyes further into the country side. I chose this photo, because I love going on adventures and looking at the countryside, and to me this photo makes it seem like someone is going on an adventure.

VERTICAL LINES
Vertical lines in a picture can make a sense of growth in a photo, as they're leading your eyes vertically out of the photo.


The buildings are showing vertical lines in this photo, as they are leading your eyes upward. I chose this photo, because I love the city and the really tall buildings.

HORIZONTAL LINES
Horizontal lines are a horizontal diving point in a photograph, and create a pattern in the photo.
This photo is horizontal lines because where the ocean meets the sand line causes your eyes to see a horizontal line. Also the clouds seem to be going in a horizontal line. The horizon line is also a horizontal line in the photograph. I chose this photo, because I love the horizon line on oceans and the beach in general.
DIAGONAL LINES
Diagonal lines cause movement in the photograph, and lead your eyes from corner to corner.

This photo is diagonal lines because it is moving your eyes diagonally from the bottom corner to the top right corner of the photograph. I chose this photo, because I love the color contrast in the building.
CURVED LINES
Curved lines in a photograph allow the viewers eyes to explore the photograph, and can convey a pattern in the photograph.


This photo is curved lines because the railroad tracks are curved in the photograph, and it causes shape and motion in the photo. I chose this photo because I love railroad tracks and how the curves on them look as if they're leading somewhere.
SYMMETRICAL BALANCE
Symmetrical lines in a photograph split an object in half in symmetry, and cause the photograph to be mirrored. It causes balance in the photo.

This photo is symmetrical balance, because the two buildings are symmetrical to each other and the water line is causing a line of symmetry. I chose this photo, because I love old buildings, and how they are portrayed in this photograph.
ASYMMETRICAL BALANCE
Asymmetrical balance instead of mirroring the image, there is a difference of size and proportion in the photo. There is balance by equaling the elements in the photo.


This photo is asymmetrical balance, because there is a different size in the statues but the two heads are balancing each other out in the photo. I chose this photo, because I love how the photographer showed the difference of the proportion of the two statues.
Unity
Unity in a photograph is when all the elements in a photo combine into a balanced whole photo.

This photo is unity because the people all holding hands and jumping in the middle of the photo is unifying the whole entire photograph together. I chose this photo, because it looks as though if this could be a family, and family to me is very important.
Variety
Variety in a photograph is when there is combined elements in a photograph that are diverse and different.

This photograph is variety, because there is a variety of different colored candies in the photo. I chose this photo, because I love bright colors since they seem to attract my eye.
Movement/ Rhythm 
Movement/ rhythm in a photograph causes your eyes to move to a certain part in the photo, and also can cause action in the photograph. This can also be a movement from texture, and can cause patterns.

The movement and rhythm in this photo is showed in the movement of the humming birds wings. I chose this photo, because I love birds, especially humming birds, and how fast their wings can move in a second.
Emphasis
Emphasis in a photo is when there is a leading element in a photograph, and that element is emphasized more than the other elements in the photo.

The flower is being emphasized in the photo as it is the only element that is in color, and the whole background is black and white. I chose this photo, because I find flowers to be very beautiful, and especially their colors.
Proportion/ scale
Proportion/ scale in a photo causes one element in a photograph to be scaled bigger or smaller than the other, causing a contrast in the photo.

The smaller she in this photograph is obviously dramatically smaller than the larger shoe beside it, causing a contrast of the elements in the photo. I chose this photo, because some of my favorite shoes are black and white converse.
Repetition/ Pattern
Repetition in a photo is a repetition of a pattern, color, or size in a photograph.

The zigzag pattern in this photograph is an example of repetition, because it is being repeated throughout the whole photo. I chose this photo, because I love patterns on clothing and wallpapers.
Bird's Eye View
Bird's eye view is a view from above looking down.

This photo is bird's eye view, because the photograph is taken looking down on a city. I chose this photo, because I love the city and also bright lights from Ferris wheels when they're lit up late at night.
Worm's Eye View
Worm's eye view is a view from below looking up.

This photo is worm's eye view, because the photo is taken looking up from the ground to the lacrosse player above the camera. I chose this photo, because the sport that I play is lacrosse.
Horizon Line
Horizon Line in a photograph emphasizes the sky and the ground in the photo, and where they meet.

The horizon line in this photo is where the bottom of the sky is meeting the top of the ocean in the photo. I chose this photo, because I love going on cruises, and on cruises when you look out into the ocean you can see the horizon line.
Rule of Thirds
Rule of thirds is when you took a photo and break it into three horizontal boxes and three vertical boxes.

This photo is rule of thirds because the elements in the photo such as the couple running and the dog and sky are being broken into thirds. I chose this photo, because I love the bright sky, and how happy the couple seems.
Framing
Framing is directing the viewer's attention to a certain important point and element in the photograph.

This photograph is framing, because the viewer's eyes are being drawn to the more important part of the photo, the city. I chose this photo, because I love the color contrast of the city.
Simplicity
Simplicity is having one element stand out more than its 
surroundings.

This photo is simplicity, because the tennis ball is being singled out from its surroundings. I chose this photo, because I used to play tennis and it was one of my favorite sports when I was younger.
Texture
Texture is how a photograph can appear to have the feel of a surface.

This photo is texture, because the rocks have create a feel of texture and touch in the photograph. I chose this photo, because when I go to the beach I pick up rocks and collect them.

No comments:

Post a Comment